Quote Bank
Prologue, Chorus
- "Intends our muse to daunt his heavenly verse" - Marlowe writing about himself as the chorus though
- "Swoll'n with cunning of a self-conceit"
- "His waxen wings did mount above his reach"
- "Nothing so sweet as magic is to him"
Act 1, Scene 1
- "Yet art thou still but Faustus, and a man,"
- "When all is done, divinity is best"
- "These metaphysics of magicians And necromantic books are heavenly"
- "A sound magician is a mighty God"
- "Here, Faustus, try thy brains to gain a deity"
- "O Faustus, lay that damned book aside"
- "'Tis magic, magic that hath ravished me"
- "This night I'll conjure, though I die therefore"
Act 1, Scene 2
- "O, but I fear me nothing can reclaim him"
Act 1, Scene 3
- "Faustus sprinkles holy water and makes a sign of the cross"
- "I charge thee to return and change thy shape. Thou art too ugly to attend on me"
- "How pliant is this Mephistopheles"
- "I am a servant to great Lucifer"
- "Per accidens."
- "We fly in hope to geth his glorious soul"
- "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it"
- "Had I as many souls as there be stars, I'd give them all for Mephistopheles"
Act 1, Scene 4
- "My soul to the devil for a shoulder of mutton...I had need to have it well roasted, and good sauce to it, if I pay so dear"
Act 2, Scene 1
- "The God thou servest is thine own appetite"
- "Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris" - Misery loves company
- "And I will be thy slave, and wait on thee, And give thee more than thou hast wit to ask"
- "Is not thy soul thine own?"
- "If unto God, he'll throw thee down to hell"
- "for where we are is hell"
- "And, to conclude, when all the world dissolves, And every creature shall be purified. ANd places shall be hell that is not heaven"
- "Come, I think hell's a fable"
- "Ay, and body too. But what of that?"
- "I am wanton and lascivious and cannot live without a wife"
- "...or as beautiful As was bright Lucifer before his fall"
- "O, thou art decieved"
Act 2, Scene 2
- "...kitchen maid, then turn her and wind her to thy own use as often as thou wilt, and at midnight."
Act 2, Scene 3
- "Well, I am answered. Tell me who made the world." "I will not."
- "And Faustus vows never to look to heaven"
- "O, this feeds my soul!"
- "O, might I see hell and return again"
Act 3, Scene 1
- "Hadst thou, as erst I did command"
- "Now, by the kingdoms of the infernal rule"
Act 4, Chorus
- "Faustus is feasted 'mongst his noblemen"
Act 4, Scene 1
- "thou hast a familiar spirit" - Charles V (Emperor) said to Faustus
- "thou shalt be no ways prejudiced or endamaged" - Charles V said to Faustus
- "he looks much like a conjurer" - Knight said to Faustus
- "I must confess myself far inferior to the report men have published" - Faustus
- "I am content to do whatsoever your Majesty shall command me" - Faustus to Charles V
- "Canst raise this man from hollow vaults below" - Charles V talking to Faustus
- "I'faith, that's nothing at all" - Knight said aside about Faustus' ability
- "when you will confess the truth" - Knight said to Faustus
- "Mephistopheles, begone!" - Faustus said to Mephistopheles. Knight mistakenly thinks it's about him.
- "a wart or mole in her neck" - Charles V
- "at my entreaty release him" - Charles V to Faustus.
- "Mephistopheles, transform him straight"
- "Short'ning my days and thread of vital life, Calls for the payment of my latest years" - Faustus
- "Nay, till I am past this fair and pleasant green, I'll walk on foot"
- "God save you, Master Doctor" - Horse courser to Faustus
- "ride him not into the water."
- "They fatal time doth draw to final end. Despair doth drive distrust unto my thought"
Act 5, Scene 1
- "Be silent then, for danger is in words"
- "Where art thou Faustus?"
- "Despair and die!"
- "Then call for mercy and avoid despair"
- "I do repent, and yet I do despair"
- "Torment, sweet friend, that base and crooked age"
- "make me immortal with a kiss"
- "Her lips sucks forth my soul...Come, Helen, come, give me my soul again"
- "My faith, vile hell, shall triumph over thee" - Old man said to the devils
Act 5, Scene 2
- "but now I die eternally"
- "A surfeit of deadly sin that hath damned both body and soul"
- "Rememeber God's mercies are infinite" - Second scholar to Faustus
- "O, would I had never seen Wittenberg, never read book!"
- "heaven, the seat of God, the throne of the blessed, the kingdom of joy"
- "I gave them my soul for my cunning"
- "God forbid" - All scholars said to Faustus
- "God forbade it indeed, but Faustus hath done it."
- "And then thou must be damned perpetually. Stand still, you ever-moving spheres of heaven"
- "Let Faustus live in hell a thousand years, A hundred thousand, and at last be saved"
- "Curst be the parents that engendered me! No, Faustus, curse thyself"
- "My God, my God, look not so fierce on me!"
Epilogue, Chorus
- "To practise more than heavenly power pemits"
No comments:
Post a Comment